Wild For Reborns Fan Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wild For Reborns Fan Club

Wild for Reborns is the first official reborn doll fanclub where collectors and artist are able to connect with each other and share their passion for reborn dolls

5 posters

Telling family and friends

luv4lil1s
    luv4lil1s

Telling family and friends Empty Telling family and friends

Post  luv4lil1s Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:23 am

Does anyone out there have any good stories about how you told your family and friends about your passion for reborns or when you showed your new reborn to people that are close to you? I am getting my first reborn in a few weeks and I'm trying to decide how to break the news to my girl friend or to friends that come over and see my little nursery. I told my mom what they were but not that I was getting one yet, and I am not sure how others will take the news of me wanting to start collecting dolls at 27 years old! I just want to see what you guys have done to tell or show others that it's a fun, harmless hobby. I'm sure at some point a few of you out there wondered if others would think you were odd for loving a baby doll when you are an adult or loving a doll when you don't/can't have a real baby of your own. I'll take any advise that you have to give!
    NatalyeNicole
    NatalyeNicole

Telling family and friends Empty Things to remeber when you tell people about your reborn

Post  NatalyeNicole Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm

I am thirteen and used to collect monster high dolls. When my sister first got her reborn I fell in love it was so real before hand I thought I would hate it and was to old but the truth is I am always going to be a doll person and nobody is to old for a reborn. I now have two reborns named Nicole and Adam Julius. When you go to people the only important thing to know is that if there going to judge you its there loss.
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Love You <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    mypoeticspirit
    mypoeticspirit

Telling family and friends Empty Re: Telling family and friends

Post  mypoeticspirit Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm very new to this forum but I've had two reborns for about 5 years now (with another coming soon.) I love you Here's some information you may not be aware of that can help you explain things to your family and friends. First of all, doll collecting in general is far more mainstream than you might think. Truth is, doll collecting is the number 3 collectible hobby in this country (only falling behind collecting stamps and coins.) Secondly (and something that I particularly adore about reborns) is that because they look and most importantly "feel" like a real newborn, they stimulate a natural chemical in the brain that reduces stress by giving us that calm, "warm and cozy" feeling. In fact, when I was remarking to my hubby what I'd just read about this, he got really excited about it (because he knows I can sometimes stress out in my busy life.) He actually told me to pick out a new reborn for Valentine's day! (Gotta love that guy!) So there you go...relay the hobby aspect of it and how "normal" that is, and then tell them about the stress reduction side of it. Of course, the role playing part is just for fun! (And those who truly care about you will want you to have fun with your "collection" after all.) And as for buying all that fun stuff for your baby...well, just tell them you're simply "curating" your collection (as all good collectors do.) Laughing One thing I can tell you for sure, if you're anything like most of us, we all lead very busy full lives and are constantly doing things for others to the point of often forgetting about our own needs. Our reborns are a little something special we do for ourselves...and that's a very healthy thing indeed!
    FantasticPhotos
    FantasticPhotos

Post  FantasticPhotos Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:36 pm

If it makes you feel any better I too am getting my first one and I'm almost 40. There is nothing wrong in having a reborn its not like you joined a cult or something... It's something that you enjoy. Your family is not going to shun you over a doll. Just tell them this is what you like. I would have fun with it... And not worry. I'm going to take mine out in public just for the reactions.
    luv4lil1s
    luv4lil1s

Post  luv4lil1s Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Well, when you put it like that, it sounds like it will be a little easier to tell people. Just the other day I asked my girlfriend what she would think if I bought myself a baby doll to play with. She said that she wouldn't think I'm crazy (only because I asked her if she would think I was!) and she said that I should do whatever would make me happy. She is very supportive. It really made me feel a lot better. I wanted to tell ask her about it before I told her I was getting one, so that is the next step. My reborn is still a few weeks away from being finished so I have a little time. I'm just looking forward to the "baby and me" time I will get once he is here. I lead a very stressful life at work and my schedule is always changing so this will be a lot of fun for me to have a reborn to play with, take care of, and give me a little fulfillment in the "maternal instincts department"!
    RebornValliesMommy
    RebornValliesMommy

Location : Currently the UK but RL Son is a drummer in a heavy metal band so we travel - A LOT! :)

Telling family and friends Empty Telling family and friends

Post  RebornValliesMommy Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:10 pm

All I can say is this - My son is a 6ft 2, bearded drummer in a heavy metal band and when I took the newest addition to our family (my first reborn) out of her box, well - he was standing right behind me, with his arms outstretched and an expectant look in his eye Very Happy His theory is "If it makes Mama happy - it makes me happy". He also loves her to pieces and has even come home with outfits for her, and not the skull covered ones I would have expected him to get either - they were cute little pink layettes and a pink "Little Sister" top! My mother (who is a wonderful woman, the best mother anyone could ever want) is not too sure, but then again she is of the generation above mine, so I dont know if that makes a difference. She lives in another country to me so I havent had the chance to introduce them yet, but I have sent pictures, and she said that Valentina looks very cute in pink - so there is hope I think! The way I look at it is this - We are grown women and as long as we are not hurting anyone else, then we should be able to do what we like with our own money and time. I have given twenty odd years of my life to raising my son (and a good deal of that has been on my own) - for once I can indulge in something that is just for me, with all of the fun of having a "baby" but, finally, with none of the hardships. xx
    luv4lil1s
    luv4lil1s

Post  luv4lil1s Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:31 am

I like the way you think! You are a very strong woman and your family is very lucky to have you. It really makes me feel included in this wonderful world of reborns when other members reach out with such encouraging messages. The last visit I had with my mom (she lives 7 hours away along with the rest of my family), we talked about reborns. I even showed her some dolls online and ebay. She was really getting into it and told me she wished she had the extra money to buy one. I thought it was cute that she was having fun with it. Having people support you is such a comfort, it really made me feel better. Once my first reborn is finished by his artist in a few weeks, I plan on taking him with me on my next visit home to see my family. I am still a little hesitant to tell my girlfriend about the doll I am having custom made, but I know that I just need to bite the bullet and share with her how happy this hobby makes me and how excited I am about the new baby. I know that my family and my girlfriend love me unconditionally and that we all have our own little hobbies that make us unique and special. Thanks again Razz

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:33 am